Types of Aid

Grants and Scholarships

Grants and scholarships do not require repayment. A completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to receive these awards, and each student must maintain satisfactory academic progress according to Allen University’s minimum academic progress standards.


Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grant awards are offered to students with high need who are seeking their first undergraduate degrees. Eligibility is determined by the federal processor: $555 to $5,550 per academic year for full-time enrollment (2010-2011 year).

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG  awards are made to students who apply early and demonstrate extreme financial need. Allen University generally awards $500 to $1000 per year to those who qualify.

South Carolina Need-Based Grant (SC Tuition Grant)

SC Tuition grants are made to South Carolina residents who are undergraduate students with demonstrated need. Students must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students must apply for financial assistance by June 30 to be considered. The total award amount for this grant is approximately $2,600 per academic year for full-time enrollment (2010-2011).

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study allows students who demonstrate financial need to work part-time to earn income. College work study earnings are paid monthly to help students with living expenses and personal items. Expected earnings are not used toward the student’s account. The priority date is June 1.